Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Wide World of Canning

I belong to several canning groups on Facebook and other places. Lately, I have seen items being canned that just blow my mind. Like meatloaf, meatballs, sweet and sour chicken, ham and so on. Now I'm all for convenience and quick meals. I'm finding myself drawn to these things as easy meals for not only my family but things for my husband to take to work in his lunch pail that will take very little effort.

Thankfully, the art canning allows us the opportunity to know exactly what is in our foods. Unlike the quick meals in the stores. I know they are labeled at the stores but really what is some of that stuff we can't pronounce?

So anyhow, I grew up knowing the canning world as my mother and grandmothers have always done it for as long as I can remember. Now that I have been canning for 7 years on my own, many of the things I can is much different from the stuff that they canned. I remember many, many days cleaning potatoes, tomatoes and green beans for the both of them.

I'm so thankful for the Internet and the canning groups that have opened my eyes to the many different recipes and wealth of knowledge that has been provided for me to make such wonderful things. Just so you know I have yet to try the meatloaf, meatballs, and sweet and sour chicken and many other things. But, I'm slowly getting up the nerve to try them.

I now have over 2000 jars so I'm ready to spread my wings and try something new.

What are some of the things you have tried lately that you have thought long and hard about if it was worth the risk?

~ Farm Girl






Pin It

6 comments:

  1. I'm becoming very interested in canning more/varied items so this was a great read. I'm interested in the blogs and such that you follow, if you think it would be okay to share, I'll be looking. Thanks again for the great blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think more people are becoming interested in the art of canning. I remember as a kid it was a lot of fun to help out in the kitchen. More than likely that is where my love for cooking, baking and canning came from.

      On facebook I follow the groups sbcanning located at https://www.facebook.com/pages/SB-Canning/130750240327122?fref=ts

      also canning located at https://www.facebook.com/groups/2261906796/?fref=ts this group is closed so if you would like to be added to this group please send me an email to dafarmgirl77@gmail.com and I'll get you hooked up.

      As for blogs here a few that I try and check often but I mainly hang out on fb because those ladies and gents have tons of ideas and recipes.

      http://abeginninghomestead.blogspot.com/

      http://homesteadinghomemaker.blogspot.com/2012/02/canning-beef-stew.html

      to name a few. I lost alot of the ones I use to follow when my laptop took a big dump on me. I'll have to find the links again. I will try to add blogs I follow to my main page as a sidebar.

      Hope that you learn a lot about canning and enjoy it as much as I do.

      Delete
    2. Just discovered this blog and I love it already! I'm also from wv and getting into the farm life. Just got my first canner too :) lookin forward to reading more posts!! -Kat

      Delete
    3. Saltnlime look to your left! I did get a few that I follow up for you and everyone else. Just don't forget about me over here. Hehe!!

      Delete
    4. Kat,

      I've only been doing the farm thing for about 8 years now. Although, I grew up on my grand parents farms too but it's so not the same. I love it and wouldn't have it any other way.

      I'm wondering if we are near each other? I wont say on here exactly where I'm located since this is an open blog. But, I'm north east of Charleston. Are you anywhere close to that?

      Happy Farming and Canning!!

      Delete
  2. I love canning. I think the shredded chicken is my favorite

    ReplyDelete