Monday, October 29, 2012

Pressure Pot Cooking: Tender Lemon Chicken

Ever have one of those days where you had all the time in the world and still didn't lay anything out for dinner? Yup, I had one of those days today. Trying to prepare for this big ole hurricane/super storm "Sandy."

I finally got some chicken breast out of the freezer and it was already after 4 o'clock and by five the power had started flickering. I had to get my ducks in a row and get dinner started before the power thinks about going out for good. Only thing I could think of was lemon chicken that I make in the pressure pot. I've only made it a few times and we like it a lot.

Have you ever cooked a full meal in a pressure pot? I have to be frank with you, I had never thought of making a meal in this pot that I've also had for a very long time. I've also had this recipe for oh, say 12 years (July/August 2000) and only recently started making it. I have had it marked in the magazine but never made it as I was very skeptical about it.
4 quart pressure cooker
Quick Cooking July/August 2000
 Well used magazine its even missing its cover.
I had only seen my mother-in-law precook meats in a pressure cooker. Never had I ever seen anyone cook to completion in one. My mom gifted me a pressure cooker many years ago and so had my mother-in-law. I had just used the pan to cook in with out the lid in the past and on several occasions made ribs and finished them in the oven. Any how, before I get side tracked tonight we had Tender Lemon Chicken and the recipe follows.

TENDER LEMON CHICKEN

1 medium onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 to 3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
4 bone-in or boneless chicken breast halves, skin removed
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup lemon juice
3/4 cup minced fresh parsley ( I used 1 tsp dried parsley)
1/2 cup chopped celery with leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons cold water

In a pressure cooker, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender; remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Brown the chicken, a few pieces at a time, in the cooker. Remove chicken, and place cooking rack in bottom of pan. Return chicken and onion mixture to pan. Add broth, water, lemon juice, parsley, celery, Italian seasoning, salt if desired and pepper.

Place lid on pan and secure it down;  place pressure regulator on vent pipe. Bring cooker to full pressure over high heat. When it begins to jiggle reduce heat to medium-high and cook for 8 minutes. (Pressure regulator should maintain a slow steady rocking motion; adjust heat if needed.)

It does not look all that appealing; as I was in a hurry this evening.
Immediately cool according to manufactures directions until pressure is completely reduced. Remove chicken and keep warm. Remove cooking rack. Cooking juices in bottom of the pan should be approximately 1 1/2 cups. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve over chicken.
Moist and delicious chicken dish made in just minutes. 

Yield: 4 servings

*Note: If you are pressed for time and your  boneless chicken is not fully thawed like mine was today. I added extra a tad bit of extra liquid to the pan and increased cook time 16 to 20 minutes. It turned out perfect.

You should give this a try I think you will like it.

~ Farm GirlPin It

No comments:

Post a Comment