Thursday, October 4, 2012

Hickory Smoked Salt

It has come to my attention that not everyone can find hickory smoked salt at the grocery store. I posted the recipe for my Ham and Bean Soup two days ago that has it as one of the ingredients and some have been asking about hickory smoked salt where to find it. So if you can't find any or just want to make it yourself here is my how to.

Hickory Smoke Salt
makes 1/2 cup 

1/2 cup sea salt (iodine free)
1 tablespoon of liquid smoke


Only ingredients you will need.

Mix salt and liquid smoke together. Add more sea salt or liquid smoke to resemble a wet brown sugar mixture.

 
Spread mixture out over a cookie sheet.

Allow to dry at room temperature or on a lowest setting in the oven. 150 degrees is the lowest setting for my oven. It only took about 30 minutes to dry.
Stir and rub salt mixture between fingers to break up often. If made on the aluminum foil you can just pull it up and sort of crumble it. Works great.
Room temperature salt is ready by the next day. Salt dried in the oven is ready in a few hours.
Store in an air tight container.
Final product Hickory smoked salt

Note: I only had course sea salt on hand. Which I used and I'm going to put it in the sea salt grinder which is in the picture. Remember you can make as much or as little of this that you like. The measurements I used can be reduced or doubled easily.

~ Farmgirl



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment