Friday, October 5, 2012

Canning: Chuckwagon Chili

I don't know if many of you know but I've been canning for years and years with mom and granny. But, it wasn't till 7 years ago that I started canning on my own with a long break in between canning with family as I had moved away from home and started a life of my own. It wasn't till I moved back closer to my roots that I began raising a garden and gaining the much needed equipment needed to can. So anyhow, for the past six years its been strictly the basics vegetables, juices and some sauces like spaghetti and salsa.

This year I did my research, I have consulted youtube videos, my BBB (Ball Blue Book) and friends I have made on several FB groups. That I finally decided its time for meals in a jar such as chili. This will certainly give me a leg up on my DH's lunches, snow days with the kids and a quick meal if we need it on those busy nights.

Here we go!

Chuckwagon Chili
Makes 8 Quarts

6 cups dried beans – (2 cups each of Red kidney beans, pinto beans and small red beans)
11 cups water
7 tsp. kosher salt divided (4 tsp. for salting beans when they cook and 3 tsp. salt for chili)
5 lbs. of ground beef
3 cups onion, chopped
2 cups red bell peppers, chopped
6 tbs. chili powder
2 tbs. cumin
2 tsp. black pepper
3 tsp. garlic, minced
2 tsp. oregano
2 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tsp. coriander (optional)
1 tsp. crushed red pepper
2 quarts tomato juice
24 oz. of Salsa (Your favorite will do)
29 oz. tomato sauce
16 oz. beef stock
Washed beans

Wash beans thoroughly and put them in a large pot. Add cold water to a level of 2 to 3 inches above the beans and soak for 12 to 18 hours. Drain and discard water.
Soaked beans
Combine beans with 11 cups of fresh water and 4 tsp. kosher salt. Bring to a boil, reduce and cook for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, brown ground beef, onions and peppers in a large skillet.
Drain off fat by spooning in a large colander in the sink. Shake out the excess fat. (The next two photos are of everything that went into the chili)
Everything that went into the chili

Pour meat into large pot and add 3 tsp. salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, garlic, oregano, cayenne pepper, coriander, crushed red pepper, tomato juice, salsa, tomato sauce, and beef stock. Drain beans after 30 minutes and add to meat mixture. Simmer chili for 45 minutes or until desired doness.

Using sterilized jars fill leaving 1 inch head space.


Remove air bubbles and adjust head space if needed. Wipe rims of jars with dampened clean paper towel.

Process at 10 lbs. of pressure 75 minutes for pints or 90 minutes for quarts.
Chuckwagon chili
This is how it looks after it cooled, the next day.
Happy Canning!
~ FarmgirlPin It

4 comments:

  1. I'm new at this I was wondering how do you can vegetable soups with tomato base?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have recently added a vegetable beef soup to the blog.

      Delete
  2. Can any Chilli recipe be used for canning? I think this recipe sound delicious but, my husband doesn't like onions or peppers. I always have to make two different pots of Chilli. Love your website! thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you just have to make sure that you do it for the proper amount of time. Which is indicated in my recipe. You can add or omit anything you like. BEWARE when working with dry beans allow a good amount of liquid for them to plump up and soften. Other than that go crazy and making something delish that your family will enjoy!

      I, have several different recipes I use for chili. My husband opened the last jar this evening so maybe tomorrow I'll be canning more up.

      Thanks for your comments and hope you come back.

      ~ Farm Girl

      Delete