Sunday, June 23, 2013

Brown Sugar Carrots



Break away from the normal plain carrots. Super easy to prepare and can. Great for beginners to get started in using their canners. I originally came across this recipe on a Canning group on facebook. I'm so glad that I did. My family prefers these over plain ones.

Makes 8 pints

5 pounds carrots, cleaned and sliced
8 tablespoons brown sugar
8 pinches of canning salt
water

Fill each sterilized jar with carrots to 1 inch headspace.

Add a pinch of canning salt and  1 tablespoon brown sugar per jar. Fill with water to 1 inch headspace.
Wipe rims of jars, affix two piece lids and pressure can 30 minutes @ 10 lbs pressure.

~ Farmgirl




Pin It

3 comments:

  1. These sound great. Will be trying soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my choice as the first recipe in my pressure canner. I was curious if I would be able to make it in the QT jars instead of PT jars? I like to have a full canner with any batch I make, so what would be the difference in measurements if I was able to do this. I have the Presto Pressure Canner/ Cooker. These look and sound amazing so I cannot wait to can these! thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made these tonight!! Made 7 qts, took an extra 3 pounds though of carrots. Only issue I had was the canner had carrot juice/ liquid in it and the jars are covered in the carrot liquid. I let the pressure completely out before touching it. What can I do to prevent this again? Oh yeah, there is still plenty of liquid in each jar. I also filled water and carrots both with 1 inch headpace.

    ReplyDelete