Tuesday, November 13, 2012

SOS Mix - Soup or Sauce

Have you ever had the hankering for something and the only reason you can't make it is because you didn't have a can of cream of mushroom soup? Well, let me tell you, that has been me for the last week in half or so. All I wanted was some scalloped potatoes. Scalloped potatoes how hard could that be to make, right? Well let me tell you this, the last time this happened, I tried to improvise and it didn't work out so well.

Night before last I was looking through my pinterest pins and ran across the SOS mix. I got very excited for a few moments, then realized I don't keep minced onion on hand, my excitement turned into disappointment. Then a light bulb popped on, hmm... there must be a substitution for it, right? Ah ha, I googled for it and low and behold I found my answer! I'm back in business now! Yeah Me! So off I go getting everything together, and what do you know, this girl is also out of italian seasoning. I'm thinking that this recipe may just turn out to be a disaster. Should I or shouldn't I do this? So, here I go again, I googled and now we are back on track.

Finally all the ingredients

SOS MIX - Soup or Sauce

2 cups powdered non-fat dry milk
3/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup instant chicken bouillon (regular or low sodium)
2 Tablespoon dried minced onion OR 2 teaspoon onion powder
2 tsp italian seasoning (optional)

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a recloseable plastic bag, mixing well.

Yield: 
Equal to 9 (10.5 oz.) cans of cream soup.

Store in chinese take-out container works perfect.

To substitute for 1 can of cream soup
1. Combine 1/3 cup of dry mix with 1 and 1/4 cups of cold water. Whisk until well blended.
2. Cook and stir on stove until thickened. 
3. Add thickened mixture to casseroles as you would a can of soup.

Storage:
Store in a closed plastic bag or air-tight container until ready to use. It does not have to be refrigerated.

Things you may want to know about the SOS Mix.

1. Gluten FREE!! 

2. Can be used in many recipes such as gravies, soups, creamed veggies, casseroles and skillet meals.

3. Saves money and time!

If you would like to know more about this SOS mix please feel free to visit here and here for more info.

This post was to be about those scalloped potatoes I've had a hankering for lately. So I'm going to continue this on another post so it will be easily found later.

Check out this Mix, I think you will be very happy that you did!

~ Farm Girl

I thought I nice to add recipes that I made with the SOS mix to this post as they will be easily found.

Au Gratin Potatoes
Hamburger Stroganoff





Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Excellent, thanks for sharing. Would make a good base for chicken pie, just at the chicken and veggie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bec, Your so right. It's a great base for many things.

      Delete
  2. I need to do this...I use too many "cream of" canned soups. Did you crush your bullion cubes or buy powder? I've used the back of a spoon to crush them to help them dissolve quicker. What about also sub beef for the chicken using the same recipe for a different flavor S.O.S mix...what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used both. I've smashed it with a spoon too. Some are harder than others. I wouldn't see any reason why you couldn't use beef, pork or chicken bullion.

      I don't know if you use liquid coffee creamer but those bottles make a great storage container for this. It pours out so easy.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the tip, Darlene. I don't use liquid coffee creamer but I know someone who does...I'll ask for the leftover bottle ;)

      Delete