Monday, May 13, 2013

Hot Dog Sauce

There's nothing I like better at a good ole cookout besides a hot dog with sauce and onions. (Shh, sometimes I like it piled high with slaw too.) It can't be any ole sauce either, it has to be homemade. The store bought just don't do it for me; maybe its because I'm totally spoiled or something. So any how I'm on a mission to find the best sauce this season. I make mine from scratch all the time and I have never wrote down the recipe; its always been a dash of this, a pinch of that and so on. So come along with me on my journey to find the ULTIMATE hot dog sauce out there. By the way, if you have a sauce I must try please email it to me.

Ingredients:
1 pound of ground beef, chuck (for this recipe I used ground turkey, was out of beef)
1 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1 cup water

Directions:

Brown beef and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain fat; cool mixture slightly. Place in a food processor; pulse until mixture is finely crumbled, about 5 or 6 pulses. Return meat  to skillet; stir in garlic. Cook for 3 minutes.

Mix in ketchup and barbecue sauce. Stir in the chili powder, mustard, pepper, salt, cumin, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, and water. Cook, uncovered, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Season sauce with additional salt, if necessary.

Makes 3 cups

Come on give it a try

~ Farm Girl

Recipe source allrecipes.com

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. This looks completely divine! I have never had a sauce like this on hotdogs and I'm not about to let another cookout go by without try it! Thanks for posting! YUM! This picture is making me so hungry...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do stop back in and let me know what you think. I had it today as a sloppy joe since my husband finished off the hot dogs. I was pleasantly surprised. :)

      Delete